Everyone needs a little refresher on the basic rules from time to time, so I’ve prepared a handy list with what I deem the most common Do’s and Do Not’s of Class and Style. Feel free to suggest anything I may have missed in the comment box at the bottom!
- Fill your wardrobe with the “Basics” outlined in my first article – you’re dressing this way and on this site for a reason
- Always select slim fit clothing; if you do not have the body for it, work towards it
- Do your research before making a purchase – will this fit well with the rest of the clothes in your wardrobe? Is the brand reputable? Can you find this item for cheaper in the store down the street?
- Iron and dry clean your clothes appropriately
- Wash laundry in cold water and then hang dry to avoid shrinking
- When wearing a blazer, button solely the top button if the blazer has 2 buttons, or button the top 2 if the blazer has 3
- Acquire flat front shorts, no pleats and no random pockets
- If you go sockless, make sure the shoe is relatively stench-free
- Use a tailor to take care of any items of clothing that fit too loosely
- Acquire a solid foundation of neutral colors
- If your pants have loops, put a belt on
- If you need a sock, wear a no-show sock
- Be able to tie a tie and bowtie on your own
- Own a nice watch to complete your outfits
- If you don’t REALLY want an item in the fitting room, don’t buy it (be it style or sizing)
- Pop your collar
- Wear graphic tees of the Ed Hardy, Tapout, or Affliction variety
- Wear cargo shorts
- Wear jeans that are styled to have rips and holes
- Sag your pants or jeans
- Wear Jordans or any similar shoe as “casual-wear”
- Wear sunglasses indoors or at night
- Socks with sandals or boat shoes
- Tube socks
- Shirt + Shorts + Tie
- Short sleeve collared shirt + Tie
- Snap-back hats or anything with “Swag.” In fact, I never want to hear you say that word again.
- Wear athletic shorts when going out
- No flashy jewelry (no obnoxious necklaces, rings, bracelets – minimalistic ones can be fine)
Alright, that list actually took me a while to come up with and I’m absolutely positive I’ve missed plenty of critical rules. Again, feel free to comment any additions or thoughts you have!
- Classy Chap